"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"

"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"
Aurangabad, Maharastra, India

Sunday, August 7, 2011

MONTHLY REPORT -JULY

I am having an absolutely wonderful time here in India! I already have had so many experiences and adventures! It is so great!

My family is amazing! They are taking such great care of me and the first night I already felt like I was part of the family. They are very caring and funny, and our personalities match perfectly. My host sister, Aishwarya (who is going to Northfield), has been helping me get adjusted, learn the culture and meet new people. My mom and dad are making sure that I am happy all the time and are helped me complete all of the necessary paperwork for registration. My younger sister Mruga is so happy to have me as a brother and shows me off to all of her friends.

I started school last week at Fergusson College. It is the best undergrad college in Pune, and my host family made sure that I would have only the best education. This is also the college that Aishwarya is attending, so she showed me the ropes of everything and introduced me to all of her friends. A lot of my new friends make fun of me because I actually attend my lectures. Most of them like to bunk (skip) classes and just hang out, but they seem to be turning over a new leaf because of me. The studies are very different, and especially the ways of teaching. English is very easy for me and I have a lot of people asking me for help with it.

I have joined a Dohl club where we are practicing playing drums for an upcoming festival. It is a lot of fun and everyone there is very happy that I, as a foreigner, have joined. I'm sure I will be involved in more activities later, as I meet more people, and become more adjusted.

The food is surprisingly good! My host family is vegetarian, but I have had no cravings for non-veg. which is great! Also, my family does not prepare much spicy food, so it is an easier adjustment. I have begun to venture out into restaurants with friends and the food is great there as well.

The shopping here is very different, and there is a wide range of prices. Some things are very cheap and others are very expensive. I have been shopping a few times now and it is a great way to experience the culture.

The traffic is horrendous! I have never seen so many motorcycles and mo-peds! Or heard so many horns! I am getting more used to it and starting to enjoy the spontaneity of every drive. I also take the rikshaw to college everyday which was a very different experience, but now I really enjoy it.

The language is coming fast. They speak Marathi here, and I am learning more and more everyday. I like it that my family doesn't speak in English very often so I am able to learn the language by actions and hearing it over and over again. There is however some translating once in a while.

I attended one Rotary Exchange meeting that was for the out bounds from India. I met my counselor and the president of my rotary club. It was neat to see Rohit again, he was also at the meeting. I'm not sure when my first meeting will be, but the president said that he will be in touch soon with the details.

Overall, the experience has been great so far, and I know it will only get better!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Harmon:

    I know what you mean about the constant sounds of India. The continual horn honking day and night, punctuated by the call to prayer really got to me in the beginning. I guess it is about as disconcerting as when Kent and I moved out to the edge of town and the quiet disturbed our sleep. Our Indian daughter said that the clean, cool air actually was painful for her in the beginning here. She was used to the always present particulate that you breathe in with each breath in India. My first full day in Nagpur, Sanayia's father asked my to please describe India to them in 3 words. I very quickly said "colorful, edible & odiferous". The 4th word would, of course been "noisy" a continual cacafoni of traffic and prayer call noises. After 3 weeks, I would have used the exact same words.

    I hope you are enjoying your patamis. I still wear mine when traveling and chilling around the house. I wear the women's salwar kameez from time to time, but prefer the patamis given to me by Sanayia's brother. I was too tall and large for the women's clothes in the house!

    I envy you your adventure and am so glad to read that you are embracing it. The culture is diverse and tolerant and I am so glad to know someone else who will understand why I love the people so much and will never get to visit it or my Indian family enough, even if I live for another 100 years.

    Have you had anybody pull off the road yet and get off their motorcyles just to get a closer look at you? I met so many nice people that way. They were just curious to look at and meet the amazonian tall, white people. I was invited into numerous group wedding photos just for the novelty of my appearance. All with good grace and spirit.

    Enjoy and stay safe. Keep on posting. I look forward to every word you take the time to write........Rotarian Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Harmon.
    I imagine you are sooooo bizzzzzy you don't even care that the Steele County Free Fair starts today?

    ReplyDelete