"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"

"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"
Aurangabad, Maharastra, India

Thursday, August 4, 2011

GOODBYE USA. HELLO INDIA.

       16, July 2011
           Wow. Hard to believe that a year ago I would never have imagined spending a year in another country. ...Especially India. But now I am here. New Jersey. The last state I will be in for 11 months. Scary to think about. I mean, little Harmon all grown up? When did that happen? I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. But, I guess I will have to be; I will be in India within the day. Now, don't get me wrong, I am very excited to be doing this. It's what I love. Traveling, meeting new people, learning about different cultures, etc. But there are definitely some big butterflies in my stomach and I would have cold feet if it weren’t 95 degrees here in Newark.
            Am I ready? Did I forget anything? Did I have a chance to see everyone before I left? What does that old man across from me keep staring? Do I have something on my face? Questions keep racing through my head. Trying to think about things other than the trip doesn't work very well. (It doesn't help that I'm writing this blog about it, either). Sitting here with my overstuffed bags, I just want to be there already! Not a good experience on a 2 and 1/2 hour flight, and now a 15-hour one?! Yikes! But it will all work out. I'm sure of it.
            For those of you reading this, I'm sorry that it is not very exciting. I mean, how much excitement can you get sitting all alone in a customer service inlet next to the shoeshine guy that seems to be in love with every flight attendant that passes. Oh! And there is no internet access. I have a computer for nothing. Well, not nothing, I am at least able to type this entry out on Word and then copy and paste it to blogspot. Hopefully, in the future, I will just be able to write directly on the blog. ...As well as have something interesting and exciting to talk about.
            It hasn't hit me yet. It doesn't seem like I won't see my family and friends for a year. Maybe a day or a week, but not a year. I find myself asking, "Why am I at this airport? It's not like I'm going anywhere. But the truth is... I am. I'm going on the adventure of a lifetime. I'm going to be living in another country taking in everything for an entire year.
            I can't wait to share those adventures with you all! I will do my best to keep it updated regularly. Goodbye USA. Hello India.

3 comments:

  1. What was the not good experience on the Minneapolis to Newark flight? Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's just say that it ws VERY interesting. The plane was very small to start. There was one seat, the asile, and then two seats. I was lucky enough to be sitting on the side with two seats, and not only that, but the man sitting next to me was not small and smelled like he hadn't showered for a couple of days. I was sitting next to the asile, and he was sitting next to the window, and of course he and the man in the other seat in our row were friends. So throughout the flight they spoke across me in a language I couldn't even place. When I had finally tuned them out enough to get to sleep, they would start laughing really loudly. I offered to switch spots with the one sitting alone, but he said that he was fine. (I wasn't). But it was okay, the flight wasn't too long, and the experience helped me to know what it would feel like to listen, but not know the language at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harmon thanks for the updates. It is a lot of fun to see what you are up to... I wish we would not have had homework while we were working on our college degrees - lucky you! Love you! Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete