"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"

"Poor Man's Taj Mahal"
Aurangabad, Maharastra, India

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

MONTHLY REPORT -DECEMBER


The start of December continued our South India Tour. Being away from home for two weeks was really amazing and sad at the same time. The sights on the tours were spectacular, and the people as well, for the most part (no matter what you say, everyone can get a little crabby of being with the same people for a long time in close quarters). Overall, the tour was incredible, and we had a great leader which helped to make it even better. *You can read more about the South India Tour on the blog post “South India Tour,” coming soon.
After two long weeks of traveling countless miles – or kilometers, whatever you prefer – I was excited to get home and rest. So, that’s exactly what I did. For about three days after the tour I spent most of my time recovering. Then I got a package from home, which shoved me into the Christmas Spirit so fast, I was more energetic than I had been in a while. I like to call it “The Christmas Package.” Not original at all, but it sums it up the best way possible. Although I didn’t get what I really wanted for Christmas – it’s pretty hard to send a family… especially mine, in a cardboard box – I got pretty much everything else in it. Some of my favorite foods where the highlights along with numerous Christmas wishes from friends, but I was also very excited about the American gifts I would be able to give my Indian family. I think what I liked the most was a present for me wrapped in “Don’t Open until Christmas,” wrapping paper, which I had never used before because there was no reason. (Although it was hard, I did not open it until Christmas day). Also in the package were some holiday decorations: a stocking, Christmas lights, a snowman, and fake snow!   
The very best things included however, were the homemade Christmas cookies. Some of the best cookies I, and my family, have ever tasted. (Actually, I am getting really hungry just thinking about them now). It was so different for me to actually see the cookies last a week, because if they were in my house in Minnesota, they would have been gone in two days tops. Even though the cookies lasted longer than usual for me, I knew they wouldn’t last until Christmas, so I had to hide one of each kind to make sure I could have them on Christmas Day.
Although, I would have been fine sitting at home and eating cookies all day, there were other things to do in December as well. One day was devoted to an Agriculture Fair and Rotary presentation on agriculture. One word describes the previous; boring. Once again, I made the mistake of expecting more than was possible. In the morning we met to be driven to the auditorium where the Rotary presentation would be held. Then we sat through an over two hour lecture on Rotary and agriculture… in Marathi. The people around us in the auditorium were bored as well and many actually fell asleep, it was sad that even a person on stage kept yawning and dozing off. Luckily, we got to leave the presentation early for lunch! After lunch, we moved to the Agriculture Fair. We were told that it would be “an exhibition on Indian agriculture,” I was thinking an event that showed how things were, how methods changed through the years, and how things were now. Nope, it was only how things would be in the future. It was a place that showed off the newest technologies, and allowed people to buy them. Sorry, but not exciting for teenagers who don’t farm, and who don’t know the language. We were able to leave earlier than expected though, because even our guides thought the fair was too boring.  
                Later in the week, my family took me to another fair. Fortunately, this one was A LOT better. It reminded me a little of the Steele County Free Fair. There were different booths selling different clothes, collectables, or promoting their businesses, as well as numerous food booths. There was even a small Ferris wheel that you could ride. When I say small, I mean small. The carriages could barely fit two adults, and the maximum height was only about 30 feet. It was still fun however, because most of the people on the ride were terrified of it, and the workers walked like hamsters on a wheel as we went around. There was also a carriage ride available, a wooden cart similar to the ones used by people traveling west to the frontier of the US, drawn by water buffalo. We were riding for barely a minute, and now I feel horrible for the people who have/had to drive or ride on those for hours on end.  
On the 23rd, I had my first Christmas Party in India, with the exchange students. Sadly, not everyone was able to attend, but we had a good time with the people that were there. We met at Rafael’s house to enjoy each other’s company, exchange gifts, and of course, eat. We drew names to have somewhat of a “Secret Santa,” but it wasn’t really a secret when you handed the other person their gift. I also taught everyone how to play “Dirty Bingo,” which everyone seemed to enjoy.
As Christmas inched closer and closer, I got increasingly excited, and so did my family. I was not only looking forward to Christmas, as I usually do, but I was also looking forward to treating my family to a true Christmas. It was so much fun knowing so much about the holiday and helping my family learn about it. We didn’t go too deep into the religious aspects of Christmas, but I explained the general gift giving and receiving, stockings, and Santa. On Christmas Eve, I allowed both Mruga and I, the kids, to open one present. Mruga thoroughly enjoyed it, but my parents were sad they had to wait until the next morning to open their gifts. Needless to say, everyone in the Gokhale household was up early on Christmas morning to open gifts. I tried to have everyone open one gift at a time, but after the first round it was all out madness. There were lots of smiles and laughs, and I am happy to report that everyone enjoyed their gifts.
On Christmas Day, there was also a “Fun Fair” in my society where people could set up booths of food, games, crafts, etc. Mruga and I manned a Cold Coffee and Mango Milkshake Stand. We had matching outfits with hats that lit up. The booth was a family affair; my mom would make the coffee and milkshakes, my dad would bring it down when the booth ran out, and Mruga and I would sell. Even though I had never expected to spend my Christmas working, it was lots of fun, and I got to have a share of the profits. Overall, it is a Christmas that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment